Saturday, July 21, 2007

Bittersweet



I'm facing reality, and I'm not so sure I like it.

For 6 months, there has been a little nagging voice whispering " You have to return to the US". For 6 months I've done a pretty good job of ignoring the Voice, and focusing on enjoying our time here. I'm now having to face up to reality. Next week movers are coming to do estimates, we're been selling off appliances, getting letters together to break the lease and utilities, futzing with US Customs inventory, dividing belongings between air shipment /sea shipment / hand carry, ....etc,etc,etc.

The extra fun thing about moving out of a Paris apartment is that you have to make a *huge* deposit to get an apartment, and now we have the big showdown inspection to try and get it back. Expat after expat tells me their horror story about suddenly missing $3000 from their deposit, getting retroactive rent increases after they leave the country and having $$ wired out of their French account, getting charged $1000 for a missing key, and on and on and on.


We still have a few weeks here, but I know from the move over here that the wheels come off the wagon pretty soon, and you just have to surrender to The Process. Things are a little whacky already because at work I'm also starting a totally new job that will definitely be challenging. It's time to hunker down.

I am looking forward to seeing friends, and a nice plate of TexMex, but this place really has charmed the socks off me. I never really got past that "pinch me, I live in Paris" feeling as I walk down the streets.


Now whenever I am out I wonder if this will be the last time we:

  • Wait in line for the worlds best Falafel

  • Stroll down rue des Rosiers

  • Watch 3 year olds build sand castles in Place des Vosges

  • Eat at a sidewalk table at The Lounge

  • Go to Paris Plages

  • Go to the Louvre on Wednesday nights

  • Eat Magret de Canard at Au Gamin de Paris

  • Hear the SNCF jingle in the train station

  • Walk along the quai on Ile St. Louis




Posted by Picasa

No comments: