Saturday, May 21, 2005

Escape to Chartres


Chartres cathedral Posted by Hello

I tacked on two extra days to the trip, so I could enjoy the weekend here. I do admit, I'm ready to go back to Austin, but mostly because I'm tired of eating out, and I really miss Sarah. I escaped to Chartres Cathedral (hour train ride outside Paris) for a day. It ended up being a really nice day. Chartres is the best preserved medieval cathedral in Europe, with much of it's original 13th century stained glass still intact. It's larger that Notre Dame in Paris, with over 175 stained glass panels! Most of the panels are story telling panels, telling stories from the Bible through pictures. The stained glass at Chartres really is mind blowing. I really need to come back with my other camera, and get some shots of the glass. Mental note to self: also bring binoculars next time.

Malcolm Miller is a Brit who gives tours of the cathedral, he does an excellent job. He's devoted his life to studying the cathedral and gives a very entertaining tour. He helps bring the glass panels alive by explaining each scene.The medieval "advertising" is interesting. At the bottom of each panel are scenes showing local craftsmen at work. If it shows guys baking bread, it means that particular glass panel was sponsored ($$) by the local bakers. If you go to Chartres, definitely go on his tour.

I also had a nice leisurely lunch at a sidewalk cafe looking up at the cathedral. Pinch me, I'm moving to France!!! I guess part of the reason it was such a wonderful day is because Sarah and I visited here 9 years ago, and I remember the day being a tough one. It was a grungy grey cold day, and we struggled all day to stay warm. Today was a much easier and more relaxing trip.

No comments: