Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Chenonceau

Another chateau we toured. This one spans a river. In the 1500s it was a gift to Diane of Poitiers from the king of France. She was the mistress of king Henri II. This made Catherine de Medici, the queen, jealous. After the king died in a jousting accident, Catherine threw out the king's mistress, and took over Chenonceau for herself. Harumph!

Since this place was designed by women (everybody who moved in liked to add on), it has a nice comfortable feel to it. Chambord has a "I am King, hear me Roar" feel to it. Chenonceau's rooms are comfortably sized, with well placed windows looking over the river. Perhaps "I am Martha Stewart, hear me Roar"? I bet it is a knockout view in summer because it was really nice even in the dead of winter. Posted by Picasa

No comments: