Saturday, March 18, 2006

Restoring Paris (and my peace of mind)

I captured this on one of our loooong Sunday walks. It's of the reconstruction of Pont Neuf. They are really doing a number on it, they remove quite a bit and rebuild it. It won't be finished until late 2007. Since Sarah and I have a print of the famous Brassai black and white picture of Pont Neuf on our wall, we would really really like to see it in all its finished glory.

Also, look in the distance. See the tower that looks like a bell tower? It's actually a temporary construction elevator on the Palais de Justice, where they are doing some renovation. Interesting how they disguised it to blend in.

Paris is waking up from the long grey winter slumber (or at least I hope it is). We've had some better weather lately, including some nice sun. This translates into Parisiens with cabin fever taking to the streets, and sitting bundled up in the sun on sidewalk cafes. For Sarah and I it means walking. And walking.

Today I realized how much the long Parisien lunch on the weekend relaxes me and lowers my blood pressure. It's awesome. Sarah and I had lunch today at La Rotiserie de Beaujolais, a French Bistro owned by Tour d'Argent. It's on the river, I had a nice view of Ile St. Louis. I started with escargot, which were perfect (not too chewy), and in traditional parsley garlic butter. Sarah had a very beefy (not pun intended, it was made with a strong beef broth) onion soupe. I had a nice roast chicken with to-die-for mashed potatoes, and Sarah had a nice confit du canard, which was very tender. For dessert we shared a rich chocolate gateau still gooey inside with a very nice vanilla bean sauce. Every once in a while we just have to have a nice enjoyable relaxed meal. While it was pricey, I definitely left with a calm peace of mind and much lower blood pressure. Shouldn't this be covered under my medical insurance? :-) Posted by Picasa

No comments: